You have the right to ask for an attorney to be present with you during any questioning.
We have all heard this phrase but it is an important right and if you choose to retain Judith Shields, then she will assist you at all phases of the process. This includes questioning by the police, preparation for Grand Jury testimony, locating a good bondsman, and asserting your rights at pre-trial hearings.
If you are stopped by the police, please consider the following:
- Act with respect and act calm.
- If you are asked to give a statement, ask for an attorney to be present.
- If you are arrested, you must retain an attorney in order to preserve your rights.
- Respectfully refuse to speak with anyone concerning your case until you have an attorney with you.
- Remember that all statements made while you are in custody will most likely be tape recorded.
- If you are asked for permission to search your car, refuse graciously and ask for an attorney to be present prior to and during any search.
- Always remember that you must be cautious in how you act and what you say so that no one mistakes your intentions when you are dealing with law enforcement.
- Police officers for the most part have a difficult job and will treat you with respect if you treat them with respect as well.
- Get the names and phone numbers of anyone that sees your arrest or has information about your case.
If you have questions regarding your rights and responsibilities or the role of a defense attorney in handling your case, contact us so we can help. Review our Frequently Asked Questions for more information on hiring a criminal defense attorney to represent you.
Harris County Criminal Courts at Law Information
Harris County District Clerk’s Office
Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office
Montgomery County Jail Roster
Montgomery County Court Information
Montgomery County District Court Information
Montgomery County Misdemeanor Case Information
Montgomery County Felony Court Case Information
Going to Prison in Texas Handout
Texas Department of Public Safety
Texas Department of Corrections